Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Watch for the Warm Spells

Man, we've had some great fishing this past week.  We're finding fish on nymphs but streamers have really come on strong as well.  I even heard of a fish in the 27/28 range.  That's ridiculously huge. 

Anyway, the website is down so I can't get a new report up today.  But here's the scoop.  The river fished really well on both Monday and Tuesday of this week.  Why?  Well, it's not about secret spots and it's not about secret flies (well maybe a little).  My guess is that it had lots more to do with the cloudy, drizzly days at the end of an extended warm-up.  Weather is always the most important factor in fishing for trout.  Always.  Ahhh . . . I may have over spoke 'cause luck counts too.

It's been said that April is the cruelest month.  Far as I can tell March is a little bitchy, too.  So great fishing on Monday and Tuesday and I woke up to this on Wednesday.


I guess we got something like 10 inches of snow over night and it's just been going all day.  Here's a pic from about 10 minutes ago outside the shop.


It'll be tough fishing for a few days.  At very least it'll be tough to be outside.  But don't wait for me to tell you it was good yesterday.  Watch the weather and pick the best days.

April 1 the water below Mio is open to c&r fishing with artificials all the way down to McKinley Bridge.

Have Fun,
Andy

No comments: