Friday, November 12, 2010

Deer Season in Northern Michigan




The orange army is about to descend.  Deer hunting in Northern Michigan is a right of passage and a passion passed down through generations.  Of course, many folks hit the woods more out of tradition than anything else.  It's a time when old friends and family crowd into one room hunting cabins, each chili, and throw logs at the woodstove. 

I grew up with that.  And it has a strong pull even still.  I don't have a deer camp to go to anymore, but I make sure to visit my friends that do on deer season eve.  It's pretty much a holiday up here.  The schools even close for opening day.   We'll play cards and tell lies and just generally forget about everything that's not deer hunting.

I still like to hunt, though.  And I usually get a buck.  Which is nearly a neccessity for me cause I love eating game I've harvested. 

I spent one of these beautiful afternoons we're experiencing in the Au Sable valley scouting my area for buck activity and found this nice 9 point skull.  To me, skulls are cool.  I'd like to think it's because there's still a boy in me.  But maybe skulls are just cool.  Finding one like this means that you've missed an opportunity, but at least you know the potential exists for another one just as good to walk by on opening day.  Like a lot of things I do, the possibilties are all that really matters.  And success is just knowing you gave it a good go. 

With that in mind, I'll spend the last days before deer season looking for one more grouse and fishing for one more trout.  Hopefully, I'll tag out quick and spend all the rainy days of November fishing the Au Sable alone.   

No comments: