Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ice in the Guides





This is a terrible picture.  But it's ice in my rod guides.  Lots of ice.  And it's blurred because I was shivering.  Alex and I went out in 25 degree weather to chase browns on the AuSable.  It had to be closer to 15 by the time we got off the water at dark.

I have to say it was worth it though.  We both caught really nice trout.  I'll talk about that trip and post pic's on Thursday's fishing report. 

But ice in the guides.  I hate ice in the guides.  I am haunted by the damned ice in my guides. The only aspect that's good about ice in the guides is that it means you're being hardcore  insane  . . . well you're doing something that involves fishing.  So there's that.

But what can we do about ice in the guides?  Short answer, "Not Much".  There's an ice off paste product out there.  But, frankly, if you've got extra money laying around, you'd be just as well off to send me the $4.99 and I'll send you an empty bag "full of hope".  For 3 bucks more I'll throw in the "dreams". 

You can try Vaseline.  I never have but suspect like most Vaseline applications you should probably lock the door, keep it to yourself, and hope no one finds out.

I heard folks talk about inventing something like a battery operated wire that runs up the rod . . . million dollar idea really.  Brilliant!  Smart like opening a fly shop.

You can swoop and swish your rod under the water and that works a little but your rod tip scrapes the rocks and the stripping guide feels left out.  Nope, fact is that like lots of life's unpleasantries you just gotta suck it up and deal.  Chip the ice out and bitch.  Then remember you're fishing . . . so there's that.
  

No comments: